Memory Care at Lighthouse
Lighthouse Senior Living’s memory care neighborhood, The Village, provides specialized, dedicated support and a reassuring environment for residents living with Alzheimer’s disease or other dementia-related illnesses.
This specialized environment:
- Ensures residents’ physical, emotional and psychological well-being by focusing on what remains, rather than what is lost to dementia
- Provides customized individual and group programs led by specially-trained staff members
- Adapts to each resident’s changing abilities, adjusting expectations and ensuring the most appropriate care
Lighthouse Senior Living is passionate about fostering a community that provides a compassionate and supportive environment for our residents with memory-related illnesses. That’s why The Village, our community within Lighthouse dedicated to the memory care population, has adopted the Positive Approach™ to Care, or PAC, developed by one of the world’s leading memory care specialists, Teepa Snow. This compassionate approach focuses on what the human mind can still achieve, rather than what’s been lost to the disease. Our team members’ job is to meet residents where they are. We minimize medications and maximize engagement through stimulating activities like gardening, baking, singing and dancing. We create moments of joy.
The Positive Approach™ to Care philosophy encourages The Village care partners to:
- Respond to a person’s change in cognition and abilities with compassion and understanding
- Practice responding to a person with dementia in ways that improve his or her quality of life
- Recognize that the person with dementia is “doing the best they can” and if something isn’t working, it’s the responsibility of The Village partner to change their approach and find another way to address a challenging situation
- Be aware of the environment of a person with dementia and make changes as necessary to create the most stimulating, safe environment possible for the resident’s changing needs
- Educate our families about memory impairment and work with them to foster the optimal care plan and environment for their loved one.
Sadly, the old model for caring for individuals with dementia and other brain changes was to put them behind locked doors and keep them heavily medicated. Our approach is dramatically different. We focus on what residents can do, rather than what they cannot. And it’s incredibly effective.
There’s just something that feels comfortable about Lighthouse Senior Living. After three months in another facility that just didn’t feel right, my wife became a resident in The Village at Lighthouse Senior Living. From my experience, it couldn’t be better. The people here are super friendly and very helpful – from top to bottom. Staff are extremely responsive, jumping right to it when you have a request or problem. And they’ve been both flexible and supportive, which allows me to spend more quality time with my wife. As family, I always feel welcome when I’m here, and I know my wife is getting the attention and care she needs. It’s a class operation.
– Don D.
Want to learn more about our compassionate approach to Memory Care at The Village? Contact us today.